Around this time last year, Ross and I received our final approval and initial training for service with Mission to the World (MTW) as missionaries to Bogotá, Colombia. We thought it would be great to do a review of this past year and outline what we have left for us to get to Bogotá.
Highlights of this past year:
- September 2012: Approved for service with MTW and finished our first of 3 trainings.
- January 2013: Ross left his full-time job to focus on support raising and we had our first church presentation. Since then we have presented at a total of 5 churches, a few small groups and had numerous meetings with individuals and families.
- April 2013: Launched an initiative to get 100 beans in 100 days. *a bean is one of our ongoing financial supporters. We didn’t quite make it to 100 but God graciously blessed us with 10 new beans through this initiative!
- April 2013: Angela left her full-time position at the Mission to the World home office to focus on support raising. Then, we moved from Atlanta to Locust Grove in with Angela’s parents.
- Summer of 2013: Took a much needed vacation (first week long away since honeymoon), spent a week with Ross’ family in Arkansas, and spent a week in Cherokee, NC at a summer outreach camp.
- August 2013: More church and small group presentations
- September 2013: Living in Grace training with MTW (2nd of 3 trainings) and the 1 year mark since this crazy journey officially launched.
During this past year, we have had so many countless blessings and an outpouring of love from others. We have been blessed in so many ways from meals and places to stay, to encouraging words and opportunities to share our story. We have reconnected with friends, family and made some new friends along the way. We have also been blessed by the talents of others who have come along side us, the faithful prayer support of many and the financial contributions that get us a step closer.
However, there are valleys that accompany these mountain tops. There have been dark days of frustration and discouragement, moments of envy at the success of others and just bad attitudes. Of course the root of this is sin … and we are reminded often of how wretched we truly are and how much we need Christ to rule in our lives every single day. God is refining us even now, whether we like it or not.
So what’s next? Well, there are a few things remaining that have to come together before we can get to Bogotá.
1. We have 1 training left to complete. It is a month long cross-cultural training that will either take place in Belgium in January of 2014 or in New York City in July 2014.
2. Get to 100% of our monthly need.
These are the only 2 things remaining and left standing between us and a flight to Bogotá. We would love to get to the Belgium cross-cultural training in January and then finish up the remainder of our support in the spring of next year. However, to make it to this training, we have to be approaching 80% of our need to get the green light to go. We are currently at 20% and realize that to get an additional 60% in 2 months will be monumental. We do plead that you would pray with us for this. We believe that the Lord will bless us with this goal if it is in His will. Please join us in prayer for this.
If you are one of those who have been thinking and praying about supporting us please click the link to confirm your desired pledge with us. Please know that your pledge can be changed at any time if needed…it is not etched in stone or signed in blood. And you can pledge now and start giving at a later date. We have a lot of flexibility but until it “officially” makes it on the books, it does not count towards our need. And always, please contact us if you have any questions (or if you just want to say hi).
So, 1 year is passed and we are looking forward to the next.